Keeping up with today's new technologies and the slew of products and services introduced to support them is a daunting task. Here is a brief list of some networking and infrastructure news of the week to help you navigate the choices.
Send your news to [email protected].
Amazon Web Services announced four new container capabilities to help businesses develop, deploy, and scale modern applications. AWS is now making it even easier to provision, deploy, and manage container applications. It is doing this by enabling customers to run Amazon Elastic Container Service (ECS) or Amazon Elastic Kubernetes Service (EKS) in their own data centers, adding a new service for automated container and serverless application development and deployment, and providing a new container registry that gives developers an easy and highly available way to share and deploy container software publicly. The new services include:
- For developers who most prioritize using the open-source Kubernetes orchestration engine, AWS offers Amazon EKS.
- For developers who most prioritize the deepest integration with the rest of AWS and the comfort of AWS-style APIs and streamlined configurations for cluster management, scheduling, and monitoring, AWS offers Amazon ECS.
- For businesses that prefer to run containers without having to think about servers or clusters at all (i.e., serverless), AWS offers AWS Fargate.
- AWS Proton gives developers the ability to store and reuse application stacks, provides an environment to deploy container and serverless applications, monitors the applications in production, and automatically updates the applications with the latest components of the stacks.
Lenovo Data Center Group (DCG) announced new end-to-end data management solutions allowing customers of all sizes to harness data more securely and efficiently, from edge to core to cloud, with a single set of tools and capabilities. New offerings include:
- Lenovo ThinkSystem Intelligent Monitoring 2.0 software solution, a cloud-based management platform that uses AI to simplify and automate the care and optimization of Lenovo's ThinkSystem storage environment.
- Lenovo ThinkSystem DM5100F brings high-performance, low-latency all-NVMe storage at an affordable price point, letting businesses of all sizes enhance analytics and AI deployments while accelerating applications' access to data.
- Lenovo DB720S Fibre Channel Switch, which provides 32Gbps and 64Gbps storage networking, delivering higher speed and 50 percent lower latency than previous generations. The DB720S delivers autonomous SAN infrastructure with self-learning, self-optimizing, and self-healing capabilities.
Intel and Google Cloud announced a collaboration to simplify enterprises' ability to adopt and deploy cloud-first business models using their existing on-premises, self-managed hardware. The two organizations co-developed reference architectures optimized for the now-generally available "Anthos on bare metal" solution. Targeted at data center and edge computing use cases, customers can leverage the reference architectures to rapidly deploy enterprise-class applications on their existing hardware infrastructure and efficiently handle complicated hybrid- and multi-cloud tasks.
Cohesity announced the general availability of Cohesity DataProtect delivered as a Service. This SaaS-based offering, the first of many to come as part of Cohesity's comprehensive Data Management as a Service (DMaaS) solution, gives customers an incredibly easy way to make sure their on-premises and cloud-based data is backed up and protected. Cohesity DataProtect has already been deployed by thousands of customers globally. Now, the company is extending that proven functionality to customers that want to realize the benefits of the technology through a SaaS model where the data infrastructure is managed by Cohesity and hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cohesity's preferred cloud provider for DMaaS.
GigaSpaces announced the InsightEdge portfolio, a new suite of in-memory computing platforms designed to drive enterprise digital transformation offering speed, performance, and scale. Combined with AIOps functionality, GigaSpaces delivers an easy to deploy and manage portfolio of software platforms to meet enterprise data and analytics processing needs. GigaSpaces' InsightEdge portfolio includes:
- InsightEdge Smart Cache: A scalable, distributed caching tier on any operational data source, designed to accelerate digital applications and fuel real-time reporting and BI.
- InsightEdge Smart ODS (Operational Data Store): A distributed in-memory Digital Integration Hub offering low-latency, high-performance, and scale that aggregates and offloads from multiple back-end systems of record and data stores on-premises and on cloud.
- InsightEdge Smart Augmented Transactions: An in-memory translytical platform that unifies streaming, real-time transactional (ACID compliant), and analytical processing for instant insights and closed-loop decision making.
If your company has networking and infrastructure news, send your announcements to [email protected].