CEO and purported owner of the UNIX Operating System, Darl McBride, posted a friendly missive today on SCO's site, encouraging all followers of Open Source to play nice. Here's a six-point summary:
- Open Source has its roots in hackers and miscreants, which explains this community's need to act outside of "the rule of law," but please, please stop DoSing our site.
- Open Software is still woefully immature and has blatantly disregarded fundamental software practices (namely IP rights research).
- All your base...sorry, a million lines of code in Linux belong to us, and Bruce Perens admitted as much.
- We're not naming names, but some large corporations (IBM) are selling software (Linux) without a warranty!
- Most Linux vendors are barely scraping by.
- Evidently, "It is easier for some in the Open Source community to fire off a 'rant' than to sit across a negotiation table," but my door is always open. Let's work together!