Communications market research firm Infonetics Research released the first quarter (1Q09) edition of its Enterprise Telephony report. Highlights from the market research report follow.
"The PBX market declined more than anticipated in the first quarter of 2009, with worldwide revenue dropping 31% year-over-year to $1.7 billion. A combination of less demand due to the economy, and just plain buyer uncertainty drove the market lower. Sales were relatively flat in Latin America, but were down significantly everywhere else. One of the prime drivers of PBX sales is economic expansion, and once the world's major economies recover, likely in 2010, we should see an uptick in PBX sales," said Matthias Machowinski, Infonetics Research's Directing Analyst for Enterprise Voice and Data.
- The swings from 1Q08 to 1Q09 (year-over-year) in enterprise telephony vendor market share vary significantly, with Siemens gaining the most (4 percentage points) and Nortel losing the most. Siemens is the only PBX vendor gaining share quarter-over-quarter in 1Q09, up 13%.
- PBX market share leader Cisco had the worst quarter (vs. 4Q08), but held on to the top revenue spot, slightly ahead of Avaya.
- The pure IP PBX segment was slightly more insulated than the rest of the PBX market, with revenue down 'only' 13% year-over-year. New product introductions helped this segment avert more significant declines.
- TDM PBX products are expected to continue to decline as companies shift to IP-based communications, while the IP PBX segments (pure and hybrid) are expected to pick up post-recession.
Infonetics' enterprise telephony report tracks 3Com, Aastra, AudioCodes, Alcatel-Lucent, Avaya, Cisco, Dialogic, Mitel, NEC, Nortel, NET/Quintum, Samsung, ShoreTel, Siemens, Tadiran, Toshiba, Vertical, and others. The report provides worldwide and regional market size, analysis, and forecasts through 2013 for TDM PBX/KTS systems, IP PBX systems with hybrid and pure IP splits, IP PBX by system size, VoIP gateways, and IP deskphones and softphones. Pivot tables are included.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Members: http://www.infonetics.com/login
- New to Infonetics' online portal: http://www.infonetics.com/cgp/newaccounts.asp
Once on the portal, go to RESEARCH, then ENTERPRISE VOICE AND UC.