Network Computing is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC

This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 8860726.

Service Provider Router And Switch Sales Reach $1.68 Billion In 2nd Q

The worldwide market for service provider switches and routers equipment increased by 9% in the second quarter of 2005 to $1.68 billion, according to a recent study by Dittberner.

The growth is primarily attributable to network operators migrating from legacy ATM/Frame Relay networks to converged IP networks, the study adds.

Cisco remains the market leader with 44% of the revenues for switches and routers during the quarter. Juniper is second with 18% market share, while Nortel follows with 16%.

The edge equipment segment accounted for 53% of the revenues, while core equipment made up the remaining 47%. Again, Cisco is the market leader within both these categories, with 51.5 market share of the core network and 36.8% of the edge

The study found that 72% of overall quarterly revenue was for core and edge routers, with the remaining 28% coming from switches. Cisco holds the leading position in core and edge routers, while Nortel was the leader for switches, although its shipments declined by 1%.

  • 1