Network Computing is part of the Informa Tech Division of Informa PLC
Ethernet Service Revenue Rockets to Nearly $6 Billion
Worldwide revenue from Ethernet services more than doubled to $5.9 billion between 2004 and 2005, and will increase to $22.5 billion by 2009, says a new report from Infonetics Research.
Infonetics says the Ethernet services market is growing quickly because it offers greater bandwidth without increasing WAN costs.
"Since Ethernet offers more bandwidth without increasing WAN costs, it's growing in popularity, especially among small and medium businesses, and among remote and branch offices of large businesses -- the very customers service providers are targeting for new revenue," Michael Howard, principal analyst at Infonetics Research, said in a statement.
The bulk of the revenue, 75%, comes from retail Ethernet services, such as Internet/WAN access, Ethernet private line, and transparent LAN services. The remaining 25% come from wholesale Ethernet service revenue, primarily point-to-point Gigabit Ethernet links. Wholesale revenues will grow slowly through 2009.
The Asia Pacific region accounted for the biggest chunk of revenue, with more than 40% of the total, followed by EMEA with over 30%, and North America, with over 20%.
Recommended For You
Making the jump from outdated legacy technology to a more modern digital infrastructure will allow businesses to innovate at the speed and scale needed in today’s marketplace.
The business world is speeding up. The longer IT leaders wait to get their needs met, the more at risk their businesses and their jobs will be.
By arming SD-WAN networks with end-to-end intelligence, analytics-driven predictions, and predictive automation solutions, IT teams can simplify infrastructure management and assure higher levels of quality experiences for users.