You might be surprised by how few of the top tech employers are in the technology industry.
If you’re looking for a job in IT, you might assume that you’ll find the most open positions among the large technology companies in Silicon Valley.
But that assumption would be wrong.
Indeed.com recently analyzed its employment database and came up with a list of the companies that posted the most technology jobs over the last twelve months. Surprisingly, two-thirds of them aren’t traditional technology companies, and only two of them are headquartered in Silicon Valley. In fact, far more of them are in the Washington, D.C., area, and many are in the defense, consulting, healthcare and financial services industries.
Less surprisingly, all of these firms are large enterprises that employ tens or hundreds of thousands of employees. The smallest provides jobs for more than 19,000 people, while the largest has more than a half million workers. That employer says that it has added an average of 125 new jobs in the United States every day for the past five years.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the computer and information technology field is growing at an average of 13% per year. The occupation could create more than half a million new jobs between 2016 and 2026.
Here are more details about the 15 companies that posted the most tech job openings on Indeed.com over the last year.
15. Oracle: Founded in 1977, Oracle sells enterprise software, cloud computing and data center infrastructure and is best known for its database software. It is number 82 on the Fortune 500 list.
- Headquarters: Redwood Shores, California
- Industry: Technology
- Total Employment: 137,000
- Annual Revenue: $39.83 billion
- Percentage of Total Indeed Technology Job Postings: 0.33%
- Online Career Information: Ocracle.com/Corporate/Careers
14. Northrop Grumman: Most people associate Northrop Grumman with military aircraft like the B-2 bomber, F/A-18 and unmanned vehicles, but the company is also a major supplier of military technology and cyber defense capabilities. It is also an important supplier to the space industry.
- Headquarters: Falls Church, Virginia
- Industry: Defense
- Total Employment: 85,000
- Annual Revenue: $25.803 billion
- Percentage of Total Indeed Technology Job Postings: 0.34%
- Online Career Information: NorthrupGrumman.com/Careeers
13. General Dynamics Information Technology: A subsidiary of General Dynamics Corp., General Dynamics IT supplies U.S., state and local government agencies with information technology, cloud computing, cyber security, managed services and other technology-related products and services. It is number 99 on the Fortune 500 list.
- Headquarters: Fairfax, Virginia
- Industry: Defense and government supplier
- Total Employment: 45,000
- Annual Revenue: Parent company General Dynamics reported $30.973 billion in revenue.
- Percentage of Total Indeed Technology Job Postings: 0.35%
- Online Career Information: GDIT.com/Careers
12. Capgemini: Doing business in more than 40 countries around the world, Capgemini is one of the world's largest consulting companies. It focuses particularly on helping companies navigate digital transformation, and it offers services related to technology implementation, cloud computing, cybersecurity and GDPR compliance.
- Headquarters: Paris, France
- Industry: Consulting and professional services
- Total Employment: 200,000
- Annual Revenue: €12.8 billion
- Percentage of Total Indeed Technology Job Postings: 0.36%
- Online Career Information: Capgemini.com/careers
11. IBM: Founded more than a hundred years ago, IBM is one of the oldest companies in the technology industry. Its key offerings include cloud computing, artificial intelligence, IT infrastructure, software and related services. It is a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500, and it is number 34 on the Fortune 500 list.
- Headquarters: Armonk, New York
- Industry: Technology
- Total Employment: 366,000
- Annual Revenue: $79.139 billion
- Percentage of Total Indeed Technology Job Postings: 0.37%
- Online Career Information: IBM.com/Employment