"Compliance" is a seriously big topic.
- It crosses electronic and paper lines.
- It can refer to government regulations, industry requirements, or internal governance.
- It refers to employee-driven processes as well as records retention.
- Requirements differ radically in highly regulated industries like finance, and healthcare
I see IT's compliance responsibility in 3 broad areas:
- Manage retention periods.
- Ensure data availability for searches.
- Deploy compliance checking for outgoing data.
Christine Taylor, an analyst with The Taneja Group, has more than a decade of experience in covering the IT and communications industries. She has written extensively on the role of technology in e-discovery, compliance and governance, and information management. View Full Bio