Data centers

09:04 PM
Randy George
Randy George
Commentary
Connect Directly
LinkedIn
RSS
E-Mail
50%
50%

Microsoft Pitches Virtualization Server 2008

If you think virtualization is still a fad, find out how Microsoft's own internal IT department is using virtualization and saving millions.

If I hear the word virtualization one more time I think I might get sick to my stomach. However, I just witnessed a stunning demo of VS 2008 here in Redmond by Jeff Woolsey of the Server Virtualization team. If you think virtualization is still a fad, read on about how Microsoft's own internal IT department is using virtualization and saving millions. Jeff Woolsey cited an IDC analysis stating that 70% of IT budgets are going to pure infrastructure maintenance, with the remaining 30% going to new technology initiatives. That 30% is under attack by many CEO's, so the story MS is hearing over and over is that it???s ever more difficult to innovate and purchase the infrastructure needed to support new technology. And for the companies that have the budget, space and power in the data center is a major impediment to growth and innovation.

The answer? You guessed it, virtualization.

In production environments, MS IT has already achieved a consolidation ratio of 8 physical servers to 1 in its data centers. In its development and testing environments, which as you can imagine are expansive, the consolidation ratio is 16 to 1. But what does it really mean for data center managers who are sweating trying to figure out where to rack and how to UPS all those servers? It means going from a 32U rack footprint to 2U, it means going from 525 Amps of power used down to 8 Amps. Now I'm not an electrician, but that sounds like a pretty nice savings on your electric bill. Having problems cooling 32U of servers? That problem just went away too.

By the way, have you recently looked at the average CPU utilization across the servers in your enterprise? If it???s around 5-15%, then you are indeed, average. What that means is that many IT shops are actually underutilizing their hardware. Because IT shops tend to deploy servers in a role based fashion (i.e. DHCP, DNS, file and print servers), it not surprising that after a while, you find yourself with a million servers running independent, low overhead services.

When you consider all of these efficiencies in tandem, its really not too hard to believe that when multiplied across the tens of thousands of servers that the MS IT group manages, the savings can jump into the millions.

Randy George has covered a wide range of network infrastructure and information security topics in his 4 years as a regular InformationWeek and Network Computing contributor. He has 13 years of experience in enterprise IT, and has spent the last 8 years working as a ... View Full Bio
Previous
1 of 2
Next
Comment  | 
Print  | 
More Insights
Slideshows
Cartoon
Audio Interviews
Archived Audio Interviews
Jeremy Schulman, founder of Schprockits, a network automation startup operating in stealth mode, joins us to explore whether networking professionals all need to learn programming in order to remain employed.
White Papers
Register for Network Computing Newsletters
Current Issue
Research: 2014 State of the Data Center
Research: 2014 State of the Data Center
Our latest survey shows growing demand, fixed budgets, and good reason why resellers and vendors must fight to remain relevant. One thing's for sure: The data center is poised for a wild ride, and no one wants to be left behind.
Video
Twitter Feed