Rackspace Open Cloud Takes on Amazon AWS
August 02, 2012
Product Family: Open Cloud
What Is It? Open Cloud is a suite of offerings based on the OpenStack cloud environment, which runs on the open source XenServer. Open Cloud includes the following new services:
- Optimize Your SQL Environment for Performance & Flexibility
- Cobol Techniques For Today And The Future
White PapersMore >>
• Cloud Servers, a server virtualization offering;
• Control panel, a customer portal for managing all Rackspace products, and;
• Cloud Databases, a MySQL 5.1 database service.
Open Cloud also includes the following services, which are in limited preview release and should be available by the fourth quarter:
• Cloud Networks, which is based on OpenStack's Quantum module; and
Cloud computing platforms tend to lock customers into proprietary file formats and service APIs. Since there are few standards governing cloud computing, relying on an open source project like OpenStack means customers face fewer lock-in issues from their cloud service providers.
• No lock in with Cloud Servers.
• Support for hybrid cloud usage models, which allows users to run public and private clouds across multiple cloud providers.
• High-performance MySQL instances with Cloud Databases. The instances are partitioned from other customers and metered like a utility based on CPU and RAM usage over time.