SAN JOSE, Calif. -- Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (Hitachi) today introduced two new CinemaStar hard drives optimized for use in digital video recorders (DVRs) and set-top boxes. The CinemaStar 7K1000.B is available in a broad range of capacities up to one terabyte (1TB) and the CinemaStar 5K320 delivers up to 320GB of capacity and incorporates innovative Hitachi CoolSpin technology.
CoolSpin drives use a motor speed optimized for low power and acoustics, enabling Hitachi to deliver the industrys quietest, most energy-efficient 3.5-inch hard drives. Hitachi CoolSpin enables a new generation of DVRs and set-top boxes that store more hours of video, run more quietly and use less power.
The new Hitachi CinemaStar drives include the following:
- Drive mechanics designed for continuous 24x7 operation
- Silent-seek acoustics for nearly inaudible operation
- Three low-power idle modes for best-in-class power utilization and heat emission
- Smart Command Transport (SCT) and SmoothStream technology optimizes the drive for uninterrupted audio and video streaming
- Expanded temperature range to enable fan-free DVR designs
- Ramp load/unload design to increase shock protection and power savings
- Thermal monitoring and fly-height control to enhance drive reliability during lengthy video encoding/decoding sessions
- Optional Bulk Data Encryption (BDE) for increased protection against data loss
- Proven perpendicular magnetic recording (PMR) technology helps to ensure maximum stability, reliability and data integrity
Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (Hitachi GST)